Travel Certificates

International Health Certificates

Going out of the country? As a provincial accredited veterinarian practice, we can assist you in obtaining travel certificates for your healthy pet so they can travel internationally with you.

We understand that your pet is family, and that when you travel, you want them right by your side. As a provincially accredited veterinarian practice, we can provide travel health certificates (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) for your healthy cat, dog, or other animal so that they may travel internationally with you.

Why does my pet need a certificate to travel?

Only pets in good health are permitted to travel by plane or boat. The country you are traveling to may have specific health requirements that must be met before your pet can enter. Certain health requirements may include: up to date vaccinations, a passing health exam, etc. Health certificates ensure that your pet is healthy to travel and isn’t susceptible to transferring diseases to other pets or people.

When should I start the process?

Certificate timing varies greatly by country: For example, rabies-free territories such as Australia and New Zealand take six months. We strongly encourage checking the Canadian and Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website as early as possible.

How can I obtain an international health certificate?

Before you start the process, you need to determine the destination country and dates of travel.

We will work with you to determine the health certificate requirements based on your travel destination. Since requirements are determined by each country and can change frequently, we suggest you check the current pet travel health requirements for your destination country on the CFIA website:

We will perform a health exam to determine if your pet has any sign of disease or health risks that could pass along to others while traveling. We will also ensure that your pet has all required vaccinations to travel. Once all requirements are met, we will issue a certificate indicating that your pet has been cleared to travel. Finally, you will have to get all the certificates signed by the CFIA vet. We can provide you the address and contact information for the CFIA office in Kelowna.